It’s not quite the end of the year but today is the end of the work year. It’s been a weird semester. After coming back from a career break where I travelled around S.E. Asia for 3 months, my first week back was difficult to say the least. After the best 3 months of my life, I was in a new role, in a new team, following a “reconfiguration” of our library services and everyone else had the whole summer to get used to it. Surprisingly though this has turned out to be one the best semesters yet. I don’t know why, but things just clicked for me. I loved being a faculty contact (this was new to me), all my students were lovely, my colleagues in my office were lovely and I really enjoyed most of the teaching. There were definite ups and downs and I miss my old line manager (although my new one is great, hi Dan P!) but mostly I’m enjoying my new role.
Anyway, I thought after much reflection in the past few weeks it was time to look forward, so here are my New Year work resolutions:
- Be braver: I’m a pretty anxious person and this can sometimes stop me doing things. Next semester, if I think I have a good idea for a teaching session, activity etc. I’m just going to try it!
- Not worry so much: Linked to the above I guess. I have put off starting a blog because I worry what people will think of me, that people will think my ideas are boring or obvious. I’m going to try not to care too much and just write about what I think is interesting.
- Read more/research more: I try to base my practice in evidence but I often work on instinct. I also need to try harder to evaluate the impact of what I do.
- Share more on social media: I am a glutenous consumer of information and I should give back more, hence starting this blog. I vow to be more active on Twitter and not just when I am discussing the happenings in Made in Chelsea!
- Stop taking working home with me. I feel like a part of me is always working/thinking about work. When I was on a career break I vowed that when I came home I would leave work at work and as a friend recently told me “it won’t love you back”.
So this is my top 5- I had more but the more I make the more I might break 🙂
What are your New Year work resolutions?